| || | In 2007 and 2008, Ol Roy products were involved in the massive pet food recalls that horrified pet owners everywhere. Mars Petcare, which manufactures Ol Roy, along with other brands such as Royal Canin and Pedigree, voluntarily recalled the dog food because of a possible salmonella contamination.
Ol Roy Dog Food
For several years now Ol Roy Dog Food, a private label brand sold exclusively in Wal-Mart stores, has been one of the top selling pet foods in the United States with thousands of tons continually shipped around the country. However, that doesn't mean that this brand that was first created in 1983 is without its critics, who take issue with the lack of natural ingredients and the high amount of fillers, like corn, that are used.
Prior to the salmonella scare, melamine, an organic compound used to make a variety of products that was responsible for killing hundreds of dogs and cats, mysteriously found its way into dog and cat foods, including Ol Roy, before the products were finally recalled.
Wal-Mart offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee with the purchase of their Ol Roy dog products, which were named after founder Sam Walton's beloved bird dog named none other than Ol Roy. A replacement or refund will be offered with the bag and unused portion of food when returned to the store.
Ol Roy Dog Food Products at a Glance
Here are the seven varieties of Ol Roy dry dog food products and their first five ingredients:
- Complete Nutrition Includes: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, chicken by-product meal, wheat middlings.
- High Performance Includes: Meat and bone meal, ground yellow corn, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, animal fat (preserved with Bha, which is butylated hydroxyanisole), and citric acid. This variety is high in carbohydrates and intended for dogs with equally high energy levels.
- Kibbles, Chunks & Chews Includes: Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, whole wheat, beef meal, high fructose corn syrup. This variety has chicken, cheese, and vegetables as part of its content, although they are further down on the list of ingredients.
- Krunchy Bites & Bones. Includes: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of vitamin E). Krunchy Bites & Bones is formulated with calcium and phosphorus to promote strong bones, muscles, and teeth.
- Meaty Chunks & Gravy Includes: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with Bha and citric acid), dehydrated meat gravy. Although this formula contains carrots and peas, both are after salt, a flavoring dogs do not need.
- Puppy Complete Includes: Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal. This formula is specifically intended for puppies and has omega-6 fatty acids.
- Skin & Coat Formula Includes: Lamb meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, ground yellow corn, ground wheat. This formula intended to improve the skin and coat has added omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E.
The most popular variety of Ol Roy dog food is its High Performance formula, which does have protein as its first ingredient, although the source of that meat and bone meal remain a mystery.
Significantly cheaper than nearly all brands on the market today, the prices for all Ol Roy dog foods will vary by location and are only available for purchase in a Wal-Mart store.